Friday, January 8, 2010

The holidays came and went!

The holidays flew by, we had a wonderful time, and now I'll get to the details. This was Blaz's first everything, so I paid more attention this year and tried to make everything extra special.


Christmas Eve we decided we are spending just us every year, no driving and crowds, lol. Juan and I made a list of yummy foods that we wanted to make for dinner, and all we could think of were the appetizers we wanted, so our new tradition was born -- Appetizer Dinner! Every Christmas Eve we will make every delicious appetizer we want and that's dinner, it was fun. We had deviled eggs, potato skins, bbq little smokies, mozerrella sticks, pigs in a blanket, orange rolls and breadsticks. The power went out for a few hours in the middle of the day, so we took a nap, piled with blankets since the heater was off. We drove around in the evening and looked at lights and then came home for some hot chocolate. It was perfect:) Our neighbor brought over a gift for Blaz and we let him open it. He played with the ribbon for a while, the pushed it away, he never really got in to the wrapping paper. He's modeling it below, a cute crocheted beanie.




Christmas morning was kind of lame this year, but we kept reminding ourselves that Blaz didn't care. Next year will be more festive:) I got a dress form, we found Juan some great church pants at JCPenny, and Blaz got a new outfit (yaaay Kmart clearance!) and 2 new books. We didn't wrap anything, since we'd already been using them. We didn't even have a tree set up, but the lights around the window were fascinating for Blaz. This year's christmas theme was practical:) We were in the mall looking around at all the cool things I wanted to buy and I had to remind myself that someday we'll have a beautifully decorated tree in our own home, piled with fun toys and things, but this year we're enjoying simplicity. Christmas under $100 is possible, lol. After sleeping in we drove to my parents' house and enjoyed a yummy lunch and games with everybody. I'm officially no good at wii resort and Blaz loved hanging out with uncle Alex.




Juan only had Christmas day and New Year's Day off, so he spent a lot of the holiday working hard. A lot of customer's demanded their kitchens get done before the new year, so he spent some long days working.
For New Year's Eve we went to the Spanish Branch's dinner and dance fiesta. The food was great, music loud and dancing fun. I haven't danced with my hubby in a while, so I really enjoyed it. Juan's parents were there too. I'm so glad we found a dance event that is appropriate for kids and not just for single people. We hope to bring our family there every year, it was a blast. We pooped out at about 11:30 and headed for home. We went to sleep with the sound of the neighbors lighting fireworks:) Yaaay 2010!!
On New Year's Day and weekend Blaz and me had an unexpected super fun family weekend. I've been wanting to make a quiet book for Blaz, so it just worked out perfectly that my mom, sister and me all went to my Grandma's house to sew. We spent several hours in the basement, but we got LOTS of cute pages done (don't worry pictures coming soon) and had a great time. My aunt and uncle and cousins ended up being there too, so it was great. Blaz really likes his 2nd cousin Kylee, she's 4 months older than him. They liked ripping Grandpa's magazines together and shared toys really well. (By sharing, I mean one would slobber on it, then pass to the other for more slobbering, lol). It was a lot of fun, and I'm super excited about this quiet book. Both Blaz's great grandmas, grandma, mom and aunt worked on the book, thanks everybody!!

We really missed Stewart and Becky (in WV) and Nancy, John and kids (in OR) this year and we're excited to see everybody this summer!! (Yes Stew, that is a veiled threat, lol, you HAVE to come visit us or else. . . . mwhahaha)

1 comment:

  1. A threat huh? So what are you going to do if we don't go visit? Are you going to come out here? Because that might be worth it...Well maybe not, because then we wouldn't get to see the rest of the family. Oh all right, we'll come. :) It sounds like you had a great Christmas, we wish we could have enjoyed it with you.

    ReplyDelete