Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Glad we didn't quit

Yesterday I was especially grateful we didn't quit. Sometimes things you're "supposed to do" feel really pointless and chaotic that you consider quitting, but I'm really glad we didn't. Finally, finally after a year and a half of doing it, it finally clicked.

Yes, I'm talking about Family Home Evening. For months Blaz runs around and yells, giggles, climbs all over the lesson, slams the scriptures shut, falls asleep, tries to rip the Ensign, you name it. It's not the cute family sitting in a circle like you see in pictures, lol, it was pure chaos. Our lessons were short and kind of pathetic and I felt like it was a little pointless for us to attempt with a 2 year old.

Last night made me reconsider. When I told Blaz it was Monday night he yelled "Family Evening!!" and told us where we should sit on the floor. We opened his Book of Mormon to Alma 5:40, the scripture we've been trying to memorize. He actually recited half it with us and did the actions (thumbs up for good, thumbs down for evil) and we practiced it 5 times. I can't believe my little man can memorize so well. We had a short lesson on the Holy Ghost, but he had so much fun arranging the little pieces that we couldn't really read them. We sang popcorn popping, sunbeam and I'm a child of God.

It was kind of perfect, I'm not gonna lie. I felt really grateful that my son "gets" this routine at only 2. It would be a lot harder to try and start it now, but now he already knows what to expect and loves it. So, if you aren't having family home evening, start. It's kind of fabulous when it all works. And maybe yesterday was a weird moment that only happens once every 5 years, but either way we will push through the chaos for those moments.

And since I don't want to leave you without a picture of my handsome boys - here you go! After our lesson we went to the river and fed the ducks and geese.



They were getting really close, it was really fun.

Perfect day!

1 comment:

  1. yeah, glad it worked for you wooohoo!hey its keree i would love to have you as a friend on my blog, so if you could give me your e-mail so that i can invite you it would be great. my e-mail is keree.anderson@gmail.com thanks,keree

    ReplyDelete